Last updated on January 22nd, 2023 at 07:17 pm
Guinea pigs can eat hay, pellets, vegetables, and fruits in their diet, but can they also eat fresh grass? When guinea pigs are alone in the wild, the grass is one of the main food sources for guinea pigs, they are herbivores, to whom grass is important for their survival.
The hay that guinea pigs eat is the grass that is dried and cured, and baled, providing them with the dietary fiber necessary for the normal functioning of their digestive system.
Guinea pigs often use timothy hay in their diet, but fresh grass is a little different.
In today’s article, we will find out if they can eat fresh grass if it is safe, and what are the benefits and risks to their health.
Should guinea pigs eat grass?
Yes, guinea pigs need to eat grass, both fresh and dried grass.
The grass is safe, and at the same time good for their digestive system, which is why it is perfectly fine and safe for their health.
Although it is safe it does not mean that it should be consumed in excess, fresh and dried grass should be consumed in moderation.
Can guinea pigs eat fresh grass?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat fresh grass.
When guinea pigs eat fresh grass they get a great amount of fiber, which is of great importance to guinea pigs, they will improve their digestive system and improve their digestion.
Grass in general and fresh and grass hay are very good for the health and nutrition of guinea pigs.
How to start giving grass to guinea pigs?
It is always the same to initially give new food, whether it is fresh grass or fruits and vegetables. First, give your pet some fresh grass to get used to your pet’s digestive system, then gradually increase the amount.
Because otherwise if you let the guinea pigs decide for themselves how much to eat grass they will not stop eating.
If you let them eat as much as they want, they can eventually have problems with digestion and their digestive system, so be careful at the beginning when you start giving them fresh grass.
What kind of fresh grass do guinea pigs like to eat?
Guinea pigs will eat any grass you offer them, but we recommend avoiding giving them alfalfa or clover.
In particular, do not give them fresh or dried alfalfa and clover because they contain a lot of calcium, as well as a lot of protein, which can cause health problems for guinea pigs.
Another thing we want to emphasize is not to give them grass that is by the roadside and make sure the grass is clean enough, because the guinea pigs will not hesitate to eat it.
Can guinea pigs eat fresh grass outside?
The answer is yes and no, it all depends on several factors, although our recommendation is not to allow guinea pigs to eat grass outside.
If you already want to allow them to eat fresh grass from your backyard, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- First, the grass should not be treated with chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers, because all these things are very harmful to your guinea pig, they can make it sick, cause serious diseases, and even death.
- The second thing to be careful of is that the grass in the yard is not wet, because wet grass will moisten the guinea pigs, where they can get sick and get various skin diseases, fungal infections, fur problems, and the like.
- A third thing to look out for is the weeds that grow in your yard, some of which can be dangerous and deadly to guinea pigs.
- The last thing is contaminated grass that has fecal matter from cats and dogs, which is not safe to eat for your furry pet.
Our recommendation, however, is to give dry grass to guinea pigs, as fresh grass offers a number of health hazards to your furry pet.
Will fresh grass meet the daily needs of vitamin C for guinea pigs?
No, fresh grass does not have enough vitamin C to meet the daily needs of this vitamin for your guinea pig.
Because guinea pigs need vitamin C as one of the most important vitamins for their health, and as we know they do not produce it themselves, they will have to supplement their diet with fresh and raw food that is rich in vitamin C.
Because a lack of vitamin C can cause scurvy, which is a very dangerous disease that can lead to catastrophic consequences and even the death of your pet.
But there is no need to panic except for fresh grass, give him asparagus, broccoli, parsley, spinach, and other foods that will replenish the necessary amounts of vitamin C for your pet.
Is Grass Hay or Fresh Grass Better for Guinea Pigs?
Grass Hay is better than fresh grass for the health of guinea pigs.
Because hay helps to better digest food and in general for better functioning of your pet’s digestive system.
By consuming hay, guinea pigs consume fiber, which is beneficial for their stomach, reducing the chances of diarrhea and other digestive problems.
Fresh grass also has its advantages because it contains certain vitamins and minerals, but hay is much better for your furry pet.
What are the benefits of eating grass for guinea pigs?
When eating fresh grass, guinea pigs will enjoy the following health benefits:
- vitamin C – Although fresh grass does not contain large amounts of this vitamin, the amount it contains is still welcome for guinea pigs for protection against scurvy, as well as better protection against diseases and infections.
- better cholesterol levels – with the help of grass guinea pigs will have normalized cholesterol, because otherwise, high cholesterol causes heart problems and other health problems.
- low sugar – which is good for the health of guinea pigs, because too much sugar is dangerous to their health.
- healthy teeth – by eating grass the teeth of guinea pigs will be healthier, and the grass will control their growth.
How much grass can guinea pigs eat?
The guinea pigs will eat as much grass as you give them, or as long as possible.
But you, the owners, need to make sure that the amount is balanced with the other types of food so that they can have the best health benefits to the maximum.
Or more precisely, in the diet of guinea pigs, hay should be most present with 80%, while grass and other foods such as pellets and the like should be 20%.
Can guinea pigs eat organic grass?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat organic grass. It is safe for their health.
Organic grass is good for them because it is grown without chemicals, pesticides, and other harmful substances that are very harmful to their health.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Pasta? (Benefits And Risks)
Do guinea pigs like fresh grass?
Yes, guinea pigs like to eat fresh grass.
They enjoy eating grass whether fresh or dried, they will eat grass all day if you left them alone.
read more: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Olives? (Pros And Cons)
Do cavies like to eat fresh grass?
Cavies, also known as wild guinea pigs, prefer to eat fresh grass because they have survived in the mountains by eating grass.
Can guinea pigs eat grass roots?
Yes, guinea pigs can also eat grass roots, after all, they can be good for their health, they help prevent your guinea pig teeth from growing.
Can guinea pigs eat lawnmower clippings?
No, guinea pigs should not eat lawnmower clippings as various problems with their gastrointestinal tract can easily occur.
What types of grass are safe for guinea pigs?
Your pet will eat any grass that is offered to them, but you as owners should offer the best for them, here is what should be safe to eat for your pets:
- Wheatgrass – one of the best types of fresh grass, it contains vitamins C and A, fiber, potassium, and other nutrients that are great for the health of guinea pigs.
- Grass clover – can be given only if it is organically grown because it contains a lot of calcium, but such grass should still be given in moderation because a lot of calcium can be harmful to guinea pigs.
- Bermuda grass – is good for guinea pigs, because it has a good balance of fiber, protein, and other nutrients for your pet.
Which grass is not safe for guinea pigs?
When giving grass to guinea pigs, avoid the following types of grass, which are not so good for guinea pigs:
- pampas grass – should be avoided for eating by guinea pigs because it also contains toxins that are harmful to their health.
- lemon balm – this grass should also be avoided because it has too much calcium and contains citronella oil, and as we know any oil is harmful to your furry pet.
Guinea pigs can eat fresh grass, although it is best to eat hay (dry grass).
Fresh grass contains nutrients such as vitamin C and fiber, so the guinea pig will have health benefits that should be used.
When giving them fresh grass it is very important that it be clean without chemicals, preferably organic grass, so that it can be as safe as possible for them.
Because guinea pigs like to eat grass, they will eat all day, so you as owners should be careful to allow them to eat in moderation.
You should not give guinea pigs grass clippings while the grassroots are safe for their health.
Lastly, fresh grass can not replace hay, but it does have nutrients that your pets need to use to maintain and improve their health.