Last updated on January 22nd, 2023 at 07:20 pm
Guinea pigs can include a variety of foods in their diet, including vegetables and fruits, to make good use of the nutrients it offers to improve their health.
Have you ever wondered if guinea pigs can also eat kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is a vegetable with a slightly strange name, more precisely a type of beet, which is available in many colors from white to purple.
Can guinea pigs eat kohlrabi?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat kohlrabi twice a week for one leaf, as they will receive valuable nutrients and vitamin C to improve their health, but they should eat in moderation.
In today’s article, we will find out why kohlrabi is a good vegetable for your guinea pigs, how much to eat, and what are the benefits and risks of this interesting vegetable for guinea pigs.
Can guinea pigs eat kohlrabi?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat kohlrabi, it is safe and nutritious as long as it is eaten in moderation.
This vegetable will allow guinea pigs to get the necessary nutrients, including vitamin C, which is one of the most important vitamins needed for their health.
Moderate eating of kohlrabi will maximally improve your guinea pigs’ health, and if they overdo it by eating this vegetable, side effects can occur, so be careful with the amount.
Do guinea pigs like to eat kohlrabi?
Yes, guinea pigs will love to eat kohlrabi, in fact, they will enjoy eating it, they will like the taste and smell of this vegetable.
Most of the guinea pigs will want to eat this vegetable, but a small number of them will not want to eat kohlrabi, but there is no need to worry, there are other types of vegetables that they will surely eat.
In the diet of guinea pigs, 10-20% of the food should be vegetables and fruits, and kohlrabi will come as a dessert to the already existing food.
Of course, you as owners should be careful about the amount you give them so that they do not have side effects from consuming this vegetable.
How much kohlrabi can guinea pigs eat?
For the best health effects, guinea pigs should eat kohlrabi twice a week.
The size should be about one leaf of medium-sized kohlrabi, it is quite a sufficient amount for them, without having harmful consequences for health.
Never give them kohlrabi twice in a row for two days, always at a distance of 2-3 days before the next giving of kohlrabi.
How to give kohlrabi to eat guinea pigs?
Vegetables should always be washed first before being fed to guinea pigs.
Washing will remove dirt and any chemical residues that may have been used to grow vegetables that are harmful to your pet’s health.
You can give kohlrabi as a whole leaf, or it is even better to chop the leaf into smaller pieces so that it can be eaten more easily and processed more easily in their digestive system.
Can baby guinea pigs eat kohlrabi?
No, baby guinea pigs can not eat kohlrabi or other vegetables.
In the first few weeks of their lives, they should consume breast milk, water, and food designed specifically for their age.
Only after a few weeks should we gradually give them some vegetables, including kohlrabi, but in very small quantities to get used to such food.
However, before you start introducing new foods such as vegetables to young guinea pigs, you should first consult a veterinarian to determine if your pet is ready for such a change in diet.
read more: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Leeks? Pros And Cons
What do we need to know about kohlrabi?
Kohlrabi is a vegetable that has been used in the United States since 1806, and its origin is from Europe.
Kohlrabi is a crunchy vegetable, with a taste similar to broccoli, and guinea pigs like crunchy food, which is why they will love it.
It is rich in many nutrients, of course, they have vitamin C which is the most important for the health of guinea pigs.
Young kohlrabi is much sweeter, while mature kohlrabi is less palatable, their skin is a little harder and therefore should be peeled.
What are the nutritional facts about kohlrabi?
To get a better idea of what a guinea pig gets by eating kohlrabi, it is best to look at the composition of this plant.
50 grams of raw kohlrabi contain the following values:
- calories 13
- protein 0.8 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- carbohydrates 3.1 g
- sugar 1.3 g
- calcium 12 mg
- phosphorus 23 mg
- vitamin C 52%
- magnesium 3%
- manganese 4%
- copper 3%
What are the benefits of eating kohlrabi for guinea pigs?
Kohlrabi is a vegetable that has an excellent composition of nutrients that will help the guinea pig to improve its health, here are some of them:
- Antioxidants – contained in kohlrabi will provide protection against free radicals that are harmful to the health of guinea pigs, they cause disease and premature aging. Antioxidants at the same time with their actions will prolong life and reduce the chances of cancer in guinea pigs.
- Vitamin A – is a great vitamin in the composition of kohlrabi and helps your guinea pigs to have much healthier teeth, bones, a better immune system, and healthy white blood cells.
- Manganese – a mineral that in the composition of kohlrabi will help guinea pigs to have excellent blood sugar levels while preventing inflammation and disease.
- Selenium – is one of the best minerals that prevent heart disease and protect against some types of cancer in guinea pigs.
- Vitamin C – is certainly the most important vitamin for the health of guinea pigs and is found in kohlrabi. Intake of vitamin C protects guinea pigs from scurvy, a disease that causes diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss, and other serious health problems for guinea pigs.
- Iron – is a mineral found in kohlrabi and allows your guinea pigs to protect against anemia while improving energy levels and the immune system.
- Copper – By eating kohlrabi, guinea pigs will absorb copper which helps to create new red blood cells, healthier blood, and easier absorption of iron in their body.
- Low-calorie food – is great for the health of guinea pigs, vegetables such as kohlrabi do not have many calories, proteins, and carbohydrates, so the guinea pig will always be in top shape.
Side effects of eating kohlrabi for guinea pigs?
Any food that guinea pigs eat should be in moderation so that they do not have side effects, the same goes for kohlrabi.
If guinea pigs overeat eating kohlrabi, the following side effects may occur:
- Kidney and bladder stones – occur due to a large amount of calcium and phosphorus contained in kohlrabi. If they overeat these vegetables they will accumulate in their urinary systems and cause complications such as stones, bloody urine, painful urination, and similar problems.
- Digestive problems – which occur due to the presence of sugar in kohlrabi, although in small quantities, if guinea pigs overeat, then there will be abdominal pain, bloating, cramps, and the like.
Can guinea pigs eat boiled kohlrabi?
No, guinea pigs can not eat boiled kohlrabi, always give them fresh or raw kohlrabi.
Because boiled kohlrabi is difficult for their digestive system which is not adapted to process such food.
Boiled kohlrabi can only cause problems for guinea pigs such as stomach aches, bloating, diarrhea, and digestive problems in general.
read more: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cat Food?
Can kohlrabi be given along with other vegetables to guinea pigs?
Yes, kohlrabi can be mixed with other vegetables that are safe for them.
Our recommendation is to mix kohlrabi together with spinach or parsley, which will be a great mix for your pet and enrich the nutrients.
Feel free to be creative in your food choices, but always make sure the ingredients are always safe and nutritious so as not to harm your furry pet.
Kohlrabi is a safe vegetable that should be given to guinea pigs to eat in moderation so that they can make the most of the nutrients without having any side effects on their health.
This vegetable contains many vitamins and minerals needed for guinea pigs, including vitamin C.
By consuming the nutrients of kohlrabi, guinea pigs will be protected from disease, will have healthier bones, teeth, better blood pressure, protection against cancer, and other benefits.
Side effects occur if your guinea pig eats too much of this vegetable, which can lead to digestive problems and kidney and bladder stones.
The kohlrabi should always be given lightly washed to remove dirt and any chemicals. Twice a week one leaf of kohlrabi is quite enough for the best effects on the health of guinea pigs.
read more: Can Guinea Pigs Eat Pasta?