Last updated on September 20th, 2023 at 07:33 am
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon? The answer is yes, they can eat watermelon, in fact, they will enjoy this delicious fruit, but of course, you should pay attention to the quantity.
The main diet of guinea pigs should be 90% hay and pellets, and 10% fruits and vegetables as a dietary supplement.
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon?
Guinea pigs can eat watermelon because it contains many nutrients, fibers, minerals and vitamins that will improve their health, but always in moderate amounts.
Watermelon is a healthy fruit that we humans consume very often, especially on hot summer days, and there is no reason why guinea pigs should not enjoy and cool down with watermelon.
In today’s article, you will find out if guinea pigs want to eat watermelon, if they want watermelon peel and juice, what is the right and allowed amount, the benefits of consuming it, and the side effects.
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat watermelon, especially since they have a sweet taste that will appeal to your pet. Like us humans, guinea pigs will enjoy the taste of watermelon, eating this fruit will be a real pleasure.
Of course, the basic rule is to give them in moderation, i.e. small cubes (one cube) of watermelon twice a week.
Excessive eating of watermelon and any fruits and vegetables, in general, can cause health problems.
What are the health benefits of watermelon for guinea pigs?
Watermelon, although mostly composed of water, still has nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are good for the health of guinea pigs.
Here are some of the most important benefits:
- Water – in watermelon is very important for the health of guinea pigs because it provides hydration. Your pet will not gain weight from eating watermelon due to the very low number of calories, and the hair will help to be full for a long time.
- Vitamin C – which is present in watermelon is in good quantities, and is great for the health of guinea pigs, especially to prevent the appearance of scurvy. Scurvy occurs when a guinea pig is deficient in vitamin C in its body, which can cause many health problems and even the death of your pet. One cube of watermelon is enough because more than that will mean consuming a lot of sugar, which on the other hand is harmful to his health, moderation is most important.
- Fiber – in watermelon is not in large quantities, but it is still important for their health. Although realistically a cube of watermelon will not meet the fiber needs of guinea pigs.
- Antioxidants – which are present in large quantities in watermelon enable the destruction of free radicals protect guinea pigs from cancer, and heart disease, and reduce aging.
- Potassium – helps regulate the body fluids of guinea pigs and prevents kidney and bladder stones.
- Vitamin A – is important because it improves immunity, and at the same time helps to improve their eyesight and eye health.
- Selenium – let’s not forget to mention the selenium in watermelon, which is great for improving the immunity of guinea pigs.
- Lycopene – found in watermelon will help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, which automatically means a healthier heart and blood vessels.
It is best for your pet to eat a ripe watermelon so that they can make the most of all its benefits.
100 grams of watermelon has the following ingredients:
- Calories 30
- Phosphorus 11 mg
- Vitamin C 8.1 mg
- Calcium 7mg
- Potassium 112 mg
- Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugar 6.2 g
- Protein 0.6 g
Do guinea pigs like watermelon?
Guinea pigs love to eat watermelon, it is sweet and refreshing to them, but as with any new fruit and vegetable, you should first do a test to see how your pet will react.
Give him a small piece of watermelon, and watch his reaction, if he likes it, then he will want to eat more, so you will know if he will want to eat this fruit.
Sometimes it can happen that someone does not like watermelon, so you will not give him anything scary, it is most important not to force him if he does not want to eat watermelon.
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon peel?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat watermelon rind, and there are even those who will love the rind more than the fruit itself.
Remove the green part of the bark, and give it to your pet from the yellow part of the bark, chopped again into pieces. You can also mix it with watermelon peel, and this way it will be delicious to eat.
In any case, the bark must be thoroughly washed before giving it to your guinea pig, because of the danger of impurities that are bad for their health.
Do guinea pigs eat watermelon seeds?
No, guinea pigs are not allowed to eat watermelon seeds, they are very harmful to them, unlike the seeds of other fruits and vegetables.
Watermelon seeds can only cause problems with their health, there is a danger of suffocation, so always remove the seeds before giving them to eat from the fruit.
Especially black watermelon seeds are especially harmful to guinea pigs, whites are not so harmful, but it is best not to try any watermelon seeds.
You can also buy a special variety of seedless watermelons just for your furry pet.
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon leaves?
Because there is no accurate information on whether watermelon leaves can be eaten by guinea pigs, it is best to avoid them.
So stick to the fruit and peel of the watermelon, so it is best and safest for their health. If you want to give them leaves, then give them spinach leaves or something.
How much watermelon should guinea pigs eat?
To make the most of the benefits of watermelon, guinea pigs need to eat two bite-sized cubes once or twice a week.
Anything more than that can only cause them health problems, as they will consume more sugar than they need.
Can baby guinea pigs eat watermelon?
The answer is no, baby guinea pigs should not eat watermelon or any other fruits and vegetables in the first weeks of life.
All they need is breast milk, water, hay, and alfalfa pellets.
Alfalfa pellets are important because they allow them to absorb the protein and calcium they need for faster growth and development.
As they grow, alfalfa should be reduced, and gradually introduce fruits and vegetables, including watermelon.
read more: Do Guinea Pigs Sleep? How, When and Habits
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon rind?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat watermelon rind because it is not so hard, and is not difficult to digest in their body.
Although our recommendation is to give them from the white part of the watermelon, i.e. the part between the peel and the fruit, due to the fact that it contains a lot of fiber that is important for their health.
Can guinea pigs eat yellow watermelon?
Yes, guinea pigs are free to eat yellow watermelon. This watermelon is yellow because it does not contain lycopene, which actually gives the watermelon its red color.
Yellow watermelon is much sweeter than red and contains more sugar, which on the other hand means that you should give them half the amount of red watermelon.
What are the side effects of watermelon for guinea pigs?
Too much sugar or too much watermelon is harmful to guinea pigs and can cause diabetes and weight gain, which in turn will cause other health problems.
Here are some of the most common side effects:
- Eating too much watermelon peel can cause diarrhea and stomach problems.
- Eating too much watermelon will increase the percentage of potassium in the body, which is dangerous for their health.
- Eating large amounts of watermelon can also cause allergies, although this occurrence is very rare, you should still be careful with your pet.
Can guinea pigs consume watermelon juice?
The short answer is no, they must never consume because then they will consume a lot of sugar, which can cause problems with their health.
Problems such as diarrhea, weight gain, hypertension, and other problems. Our recommendation is to eat watermelon fruit, and juice should always be avoided.
Do not forget to mention that watermelon should always be given at room temperature, if you give them cold watermelon directly from the refrigerator, be sure that they will have problems with digestion and stomach.
Watermelon is a healthy fruit that should be included in guinea pigs’ diet but in moderation. Once or twice a week, one to two cubes are completely good and healthy for the health of guinea pigs.
Your pet can also eat the bark, but under no circumstances should he eat seeds or consume watermelon juice. The composition of watermelon mostly consists of water and sugar, but it also has vitamins, fiber, and minerals that will improve their health and protect them from diseases and health problems.
Side effects can occur when eating too much fruit, and watermelon peel can cause diarrhea, indigestion, and hypertension.
In any case, watermelon is safe and healthy, so let your pet enjoy its taste.