Last updated on January 22nd, 2023 at 07:21 pm
Hamsters need to get as many nutrients as possible in their diet to be healthy and to prolong their life. They, like us humans, can eat a variety of foods, so you must be wondering, what about cabbage, can hamsters eat cabbage?
Yes, hamsters can eat cabbage in moderation to have the best health benefits. Cabbage will contribute to the intake of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other healthy ingredients that are important for their health.
In today’s article we will find out if hamsters are allowed to eat cabbage, how much is enough for them, what are the benefits and risks, and other information related to the introduction of cabbage in their diet.
Can hamsters eat cabbage?
Yes, hamsters can eat cabbage, after all, they will enjoy this delicious snack.
In order to be able to safely eat cabbage, it is necessary to give them in moderate amounts to have benefits, and at the same time to avoid side effects on their health.
Cabbage will certainly help them to prolong their life, so our recommendation is to give cabbage to your furry pets.
Do hamsters like to eat cabbage?
Yes, hamsters like to eat cabbage, or rather most of them will want to eat this vegetable.
If your hamster refuses to eat cabbage, you must stop giving him cabbage, because there is no need to force him to eat something he does not like.
You should not be disappointed if he does not want to eat cabbage, because he has enough choice of other vegetables that he can consume and enjoy eating.
How to start giving cabbage to hamsters?
Cabbage, like any other food, should be washed well first, so that no impurities and chemicals are used to grow it, as they can be harmful to their health.
As with any new food given to hamsters for the first time, you must be very careful because they are by nature very sensitive and timid pets.
In the beginning, you should give them a very small amount, preferably directly from your hand, which will improve your intimacy with your pet, and at the same time, it will have more confidence to try to eat cabbage.
If he wants to eat right if he does not want to then stop giving cabbage to your hamster.
After giving cabbage for the first time, you should wait 24 hours to see if there will be any adverse reactions, such as diarrhea, vomiting, or something similar.
If all goes well, continue to give him this healthy vegetable, and if you experience side effects, consult your veterinarian for further steps to be taken.
When you start leaving cabbage in the cage, always remove the uneaten parts of the cabbage after a few hours.
How much cabbage can hamsters eat?
Hamsters can eat cabbage, but not everyone can eat the same amount, it depends on the breed and their size.
For example, Syrian hamsters eat the most as the largest, while dwarfs eat much less, which is normal.
It is very important that you adhere to the maximum amount allowed for a certain breed of hamster, and your hamster will not have a problem, and you will be calm.
How much cabbage can Syrian hamsters eat?
Syrian hamsters are the largest of all, so they always have the honor of eating the most cabbage and other foods.
Syrian hamsters can eat half a teaspoon of cabbage twice a week, but never give them to eat two days in a row, nothing more or less, so that they can make the most of the nutrients without risking their health.
You may think that’s a little bit, but believe me, it’s the optimal amount for them.
How much cabbage can Robo hamsters eat?
Robo hamsters are smaller than Syrian hamsters but are larger than dwarf hamsters, so they can only eat half a teaspoon of cabbage once a week.
That’s enough for them and their health, that they will get the necessary ingredients from this vegetable.
There is no need to overdo it and give them more than this amount because otherwise, they can only get a domino effect, ie negative consequences from overdoses of cabbage.
How much cabbage can dwarf hamsters eat?
Dwarf hamsters are one of the smallest along with Chinese and Campbell hamsters, so they always eat the least, whether it is cabbage or any other food.
It is optimal for dwarf hamsters to eat 1/4 of a teaspoon of cabbage once every two weeks for great health benefits.
Dwarf hamsters have a very delicate digestive system, and they can not process large amounts of cabbage, if you give them more then you can be sure that they can have side effects on their delicate health.
Can baby hamsters eat cabbage?
No, baby hamsters can not eat cabbage, and you should not try to give them this or any other vegetable at all.
Baby hamsters can only consume breast milk, water, and food specially designed for them.
After a few weeks only then can they start trying new foods, including cabbage, however before you start giving cabbage to young hamsters, in any case, it is not bad to consult a veterinarian.
Nutrition facts about cabbage
To know better what exactly hamsters get by eating cabbage, here is what the composition of half a cup of raw cabbage looks like:
- calories 11
- carbohydrates 1 g
- protein 0.5 g
- fiber 1g
- vitamin C 3mg
- calcium 3 mg
- magnesium 3.5 mg
- iron 2 mg
- potassium 75 mg
- vitamin E 0.5 mg
- phosphorus 0.5 mg
What types of cabbage can hamsters eat?
As for the types of cabbage that hamsters can eat, you are free to give them different types of this vegetable:
- white cabbage – a great choice for hamsters because of dietary fiber and vitamin C, and less calcium.
- red cabbage – is rich in vitamin C, just pay attention to the amount.
- napa cabbage – has a lot of vitamins A and C, but due to the high amount of calcium is not recommended to give too much to hamsters.
- cavolo nero cabbage – has a wealth of vitamin C, not to mention the antioxidants that protect the hamster from cancer.
- purple cabbage – also has as much vitamin C as red cabbage.
- sweetheart cabbage – which in addition to the famous vitamin also contains folate which is great for the health of your pets.
- savoy cabbage – has a crunchy taste that hamsters love and vitamins C and A for proper development of their body.
However, to give any of the above types of cabbage to your furry pets, the main rule always applies to a moderate amount of consumption, so that they do not have side effects on their health.
What are the benefits of eating cabbage for hamsters?
If you give them a moderate amount of cabbage, your hamsters will have the following health benefits:
- Vitamin C – is one of the most important vitamins in cabbage, which helps the hamster to reduce the chances of scurvy or deficiency of this vitamin, as well as maintaining the health of bones and teeth for hamsters.
- Antioxidants – which help prevent cancer because they fight harmful free radicals, while also extending the life of your pet.
- Calcium – a very important mineral for the health of bones and teeth of hamsters, but only if you give them in moderation.
- Phosphorus – helps hamsters have more energy, healthy cells, and tissues in their body.
- Vitamin K – another vitamin found in cabbage, which helps normal blood clotting, and easier wound healing in hamsters, and not only that, this mineral regulates the amount of calcium in your sweet pet.
- Fiber – they are always welcome to improve the digestion and overall digestive system of your cute pets.
What are the side effects of eating cabbage for hamster health?
If hamsters eat too much cabbage, then the following side effects may occur on their health:
- dehydration – occurs if hamsters eat too much cabbage because this vegetable is a diuretic that contributes to water loss in their body.
- diarrhea – which also occurs as a result of eating an overdose of cabbage, will also create other stomach problems in hamsters.
- risk of kidney stones – is possible due to a large amount of calcium in the composition of cabbage, a mineral that hamsters can not fully process if it is in large quantities.
- the danger of pesticides – because if you do not wash the cabbage properly, pesticides can easily damage the health of your furry friends.
- suffocation – can occur if hamsters eat larger pieces of cabbage, so make sure the pieces are always smaller.
Can hamsters eat organic cabbage?
Yes, hamsters can eat organic cabbage, in fact, our recommendation is if you are able to always choose such cabbage for your pet.
The advantage of organic cabbage is that it is grown without pesticides, without artificial ingredients that are harmful to their health.
So make sure every time you give them cabbage or any other vegetables and fruits to be of organic origin and you will have a much healthier pet.
Is it better for hamsters to eat raw or boiled cabbage?
The winner in this matter is always the raw cabbage, which is rich in nutrients necessary for the health of hamsters.
Boiled cabbage does not have the same nutrients as raw cabbage, and hamsters should never actually eat boiled cabbage.
They should not eat cooked food at all because their digestive system will only have problems with such food and difficulties with its processing.
Can hamsters eat dried cabbage?
Yes, hamsters can also eat dried cabbage, but make sure it is in moderation.
Our recommendation is to give half of the amount of fresh cabbage you give to your hamster depending on its breed.
For example, instead of giving a Syrian hamster half a teaspoon of fresh cabbage, give him 1/4 a teaspoon of dried cabbage.
Excessive eating of dried cabbage can easily lead to stomach problems, diarrhea, and bloating in your furry pets.
Can hamsters eat cabbage leaves?
Yes, hamsters are free to eat cabbage leaves.
After all, cabbage leaves are very nutritious and great for the health of your hamsters.
They also contain phytochemicals that are of great importance and necessary for the health of your furry pets.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Arugula? Аll You Need To Know
Can hamsters eat a cabbage stalk?
Yes, hamsters can eat cabbage stalks, but always make sure they are in moderation, and very small pieces to avoid drowning, because the stems are hard and risky for hamsters.
Although cabbage stalks do not have any special nutrients, hamsters will still enjoy eating them, so you can occasionally give them in their diet.
However, we recommend that you do not give them a cabbage stem often because it does not benefit the health of your pets.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Zucchini? Pros And Cons
What food is a healthy alternative to cabbage for hamsters to eat?
If your hamster does not want to eat cabbage which is unlikely, there is no room for panic, here is a list of other healthy food alternatives for your pets:
- green beans
- sweet potato
Hamsters can eat cabbage, but in moderation for the best health benefits. Your pets can eat all kinds of cabbage, although there are some differences in their nutrients.
If they eat cabbage, hamsters will have healthier bones, teeth, better immunity, healthier blood, better blood clotting, healthier cells, cancer protection, and other benefits.
Side effects occur if hamsters eat too much cabbage which can lead to diarrhea, bloating, kidney stones, and other health risks.
Lastly, cabbage is a healthy vegetable that is good for hamsters, just pay attention to the amount you give to your furry friends.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Butter?