Last updated on March 10th, 2023 at 07:19 pm
Hamsters can be fed various foods; they are herbivores; they eat grass, herbs, and fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients they need to be healthy and live longer and happier.
Surely you sometimes wonder if hamsters would like clover?
Can hamsters eat clover? The answer is yes; hamsters can eat clover, which will take advantage of the benefits of this plant, including proteins, minerals, vitamins C and A, and antioxidants to improve their health.
In today’s article, we will find out how much clover hamsters can eat and the benefits and risks of this plant.
What is a clover?
Clover is a very famous plant that grows all over the world.
Clover is used as animal feed and can also be eaten by our hamsters.
There are many species of clover, about 250 species of this plant, but you can give them all freely and safely to your furry friends.
Can hamsters eat clover?
Yes, hamsters can safely eat clover, but it should still be given in limited quantities to avoid side effects.
After all, any food you give hamsters to eat should be moderate; that is the key to their health.
Of course, before giving clover to hamsters, for them to eat it safely, it should be appropriately washed, i.e., without chemicals, to be beneficial for their health.
Will hamsters want to eat clover?
Yes, hamsters will surely want to eat clover, they will like it, that is, they will enjoy its taste.
Although most hamsters will want to eat clover, it can always happen that one of the hamsters refuses to eat this plant, which is quite normal.
But this should not disappoint you, if your hamster does not like clover, do not force him to eat something he does not like, there are other plants that he will undoubtedly want to consume.
How much clover should hamsters eat?
Hamsters need to eat different amounts of clover, depending primarily on the breed of hamster.
For example, Syrian hamsters are the largest and can always eat the most clover or any other food, while dwarf hamsters, the smallest breed, unfortunately, always eat the least clover.
So let’s see in more detail which breed of hamster and how much clover can eat, to have great benefits for their health.
How much clover can Syrian hamsters eat?
Syrian hamsters as the largest breed can eat the most clover.
The best benefit for Syrian hamsters is if they eat two teaspoons of clover a week.
This is enough to get the nutrients from the clover without any risks or side effects.
How much clover can Robo hamsters eat?
Robo hamsters are smaller than Syrian hamsters, but they are larger than dwarfs, and they should eat moderate amounts of clover.
Robo hamsters should eat two teaspoons of clover every two weeks.
It may seem small, but it’s enough for them to reap the benefits of this popular plant.
How much clover can dwarf hamsters eat?
Dwarf hamsters, including Campbells, Chinese, and Russian hamsters are the smallest of all, so they should eat the least clover.
It is ideal for dwarf hamster breeds to eat two teaspoons of clover per month.
True, this is not enough, but their digestive system can not process large amounts of clover.
Can baby hamsters eat clover?
No baby hamsters can not eat clover.
Baby hamsters can eat clover after a few weeks of their lives; in the first weeks, they can only consume breast milk, water, and food specifically designed for their age.
Before you start giving hamsters clover and other foods, you should take them to a veterinarian to examine them and see how far they have come, to see if they are ready for new nutritional challenges.
Can pregnant hamsters eat clover?
Yes, pregnant hamsters should eat clover, it is healthy for them.
Clover helps pregnant hamsters in milk production for their babies because this plant helps to improve lactation.
What are the benefits of clover for hamsters?
If hamsters eat moderate amounts of clover they will have great health benefits.
Here are some of them:
- Vitamin C – is the most important vitamin for the health of hamsters and provides protection against scurvy.
- Vitamin A – helps hamsters have better eyesight, which is naturally very weak.
- Less cholesterol – the composition of clover and its substances improve the cholesterol level in hamsters.
- Fiber – enables better digestion of food and overall better work of the digestive system.
- Antioxidants – help protect against free radicals that cause cancer in hamsters, as well as protect against premature aging, which extends the life of your pet.
- Calcium – is an essential mineral that provides better bone health, strengthening, and proper development in hamsters.
- Magnesium – helps blood pressure in hamsters to be at normal levels.
- Protein – gives hamsters energy and strength to be able to play and run all day.
- Iron – is a mineral that allows hamsters to have healthier blood and prevent anemia.
What are the side effects of clover on hamsters?
Excessive intake of any food can cause side effects in hamsters, in fact, it is the same in humans.
If hamsters overeat clover, the following side effects may occur:
- Obesity – by eating too much clover hamsters will gain weight, which will negatively affect their health and have much more unstable coordination in their movement.
- Dehydration – because much of the composition of clover is water, too much of this plant will cause a negative effect, ie instead of hydration, they will have dehydration.
- Diarrhea and abdominal pain – occur if hamsters eat too much of this plant.
- Kidney stones – will happen if they eat too much clover and will not be able to process calcium in their body fully.
- Allergies – clover can cause allergies in hamsters, and your pet can have swelling, problems with breathing, or itching.
Can hamsters eat dry clover?
Yes, hamsters can eat safely and dry clover; there is nothing dangerous or harmful to their health.
Of course, you just have to give them moderate amounts of clover.
We recommend giving them more fresh clover because it has more nutrients than dried clover.
Can hamsters eat clover sprouts?
Yes, hamsters can eat clover sprouts, they are entirely safe for them.
Of course, before you give them clover sprouts you should wash them well, and pay attention to the amount you give to your furry friends; moderation is most important for their health.
How to properly give clover to hamsters?
When giving clover to your hamsters you need to ensure that it is in the right way so that it is beneficial and does not cause harmful consequences.
The clover should be thoroughly washed to remove any dirt and chemicals on its surface.
Clover should be given to them without additives, so it is the best and the healthiest for hamsters.
How to start giving clover to hamsters?
Because hamsters are naturally timid, we recommend that you personally give them clover for the first time.
This will make it easier for them to try new foods, and they will have more confidence next time.
Give them very little to see if they like it or not, if they like it give them more clover, and if they do not want clover, you must stop giving them this plant and do not give them more.
What to do if hamsters eat too much clover?
If hamsters eat too much clover, nothing terrible will probably happen to them, of course, it should not happen again in the future.
In such situations, you need to give them a more significant amount of water, so that they can process the larger amount of this plant easier and faster.
If this does not work, and you notice that your pet has diarrhea and abdominal pain for more than 24 hours, then take him to the vet to be examined and given appropriate therapy.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Acai Berries?
Alternative to clover for your hamsters
If your hamster doesn’t like clover there are other foods that are also good for your pet, for example:
- sunflower seeds – are a great source of protein for your hamster, and also contain essential fatty acids which will make the fur look shiny.
- wheatgrass – contains fiber and vitamin C and helps your hamsters’ digestive system to work properly.
However, there is a lot of food for your hamsters to eat if they don’t like clover.
Clover is a plant that hamsters can consume in moderation to have benefits and better health.
By eating clover hamsters will have healthier bones, better blood pressure, more energy, and protection against cancer.
If they overeat they can get stomach problems, kidney stones and gain weight.
Finally, give moderate amounts of clover to your pet, and watch them happily enjoy eating this plant.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Barley? Benefits And Risks