Last updated on January 22nd, 2023 at 07:24 pm
Hamsters eat a variety of foods, and one of them is hazelnuts. You must be wondering if it is good to give hazelnuts to hamsters, they are still a little more caloric food, and how will it affect their health?
Yes, hamsters can eat hazelnuts but in moderation to get the best possible benefits without harming their health.
In today’s article, we will find out how many hazelnuts hamsters can eat, how healthy they are for them, how to give them to eat, and the benefits and side effects of eating this nut.
What are hazelnuts?
Hazelnuts are nuts that grow on trees and are very popular all over the world.
They are used in making various dishes soft and salty and are really tasty, both for us humans and hamsters.
Hazelnuts have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, folate, and other nutrients that are very helpful for our lovely pets.
Can hamsters eat hazelnuts?
Yes, hamsters can eat hazelnuts but in moderation to get the nutrients from this nut.
As long as you keep an eye on the amount, hazelnuts are great for your furry pet, because if your pet overheats, then they have side effects.
In order for hamsters to safely consume hazelnuts, you need to give them unsalted, well-washed, and without any other additives.
Will hamsters want to eat hazelnuts?
Yes, hamsters will love to eat hazelnuts, they will like their taste and crunchiness.
Most all hamster breeds, whether Syrian, Robo, or dwarf hamster, will want to eat hazelnuts, although some may refuse to eat this nut.
If your hamster refuses to eat hazelnuts, nothing terrible, you should not be upset, there are other types of food that hamsters like to eat.
How to give hazelnuts to hamsters?
Always start giving from your hands to your pet when approaching a new food such as hazelnuts.
It is best to give hazelnuts directly from your hand because the hamster will be more confident to try something new because they are by nature very scary pets.
Another positive thing when you personally give hazelnuts to hamsters is that you will get even closer, so in the future, he will trust you, even more, when you give him new food to try.
Give the hamster a very small amount of hazelnuts to see if he likes it or not.
If everything is fine and he wants to eat, further increase his amount gradually, and if he refuses then stop giving them to eating hazelnuts because there is no reason to force your pet to eat something he does not want.
How to prepare hazelnuts for hamsters?
Hazelnuts should always be washed very well in order to remove all impurities and possible chemicals used for breeding, which are harmful to the health of hamsters.
If you can, it is better to peel the hazelnuts before giving them to your pet, this will make the hamster work easier.
Break the hazelnuts into smaller pieces to make it easier for him to eat and process them in his stomach.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Mint? Benefits And Risks
How many hazelnuts can hamsters eat?
Since hazelnuts are a high-calorie food, you should be very careful about the amount you give them, of course, it depends on the breed or the size of the hamsters.
For example, Syrians can do the most, and dwarf hamsters can eat much less than everyone else.
So let’s see which breed can eat how many hazelnuts for the best health benefits without consequences.
How many hazelnuts can Syrian hamsters eat?
Syrian hamsters are the largest of all, which is why they always have the honor of eating most of any food, and so are hazelnuts.
The ideal amount for Syrian hamsters is one hazelnut per week for maximum utilization of nutrients without any unwanted health risks.
Just one hazelnut may seem small, but believe me, hazelnuts are a high-calorie food that needs a lot of attention in terms of quantity.
How many hazelnuts can dwarf hamsters eat?
Dwarf hamsters along with Chinese and Campbell hamsters due to their size should eat at least hazelnuts.
For dwarf hamsters, it is best to eat a small hazelnut once every two weeks so that they do not have problems with their health.
True, this can be bypassed-but not unless you’re a techie who knows what he’s doing.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Hemp Seeds? Benefits and Risks
How Many Hazelnuts Can Robo Hamsters Eat?
Robo hamsters are smaller than Syrian hamsters but larger than dwarf hamsters, so the ideal amount for them is one small hazelnut (half the size of hazelnut for Syrian hamsters) once a week.
They also have a weaker digestive system and therefore this amount is quite sufficient for their breed.
Robo hamsters, however, with this amount will use the benefits of hazelnuts to improve their own health.
Can baby hamsters eat hazelnuts?
No, baby hamsters can not and must not try to eat hazelnuts.
Until a few weeks of their life have elapsed they should use only breast milk, water, and food designed specifically for their age.
Only after a few weeks should baby hamsters start eating new foods, including hazelnuts, but in very small amounts until their digestive system gets used to it.
Our recommendation is that before you start new challenges in their diet, be sure to consult a veterinarian, who can examine him to see how far he has developed and readiness to eat hazelnuts.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Soybeans?
Can hamsters eat salted hazelnuts?
Hamsters can not and must not eat salted hazelnuts or any other salty food.
The problem is the presence of salt, which can be harmful to the health of your furry pets.
Can hamsters eat roasted hazelnuts?
Yes, hamsters can eat roasted hazelnuts without any problems.
Only when cooking roasted hazelnuts, be careful not to overcook them, as they will lose some of their nutrients.
Of course, before you give roasted hazelnuts to hamsters, you should first wait for them to cool down so that they do not get burned when eating.
Can hamsters eat sweetened hazelnuts?
No, hamsters should never eat sweetened hazelnuts.
The reason is the presence of sugars and other sweeteners that are harmful to their health.
Hazelnuts should never have any additives when given to your furry pets.
Can hamsters eat raw hazelnuts?
Yes, hamsters can eat raw hazelnuts, in fact, they are best for them.
Raw hazelnuts contain the most nutrients necessary for their health.
That is why we recommend that you always give raw hazelnuts to your pet.
Can hamsters eat hazelnut shells?
Hamsters can break hazelnut shells on their own, but it will be a little harder for them to do so.
In addition, they can be injured while opening the hazelnut shells.
Therefore, we recommend that you remove their shells whenever you can or help your furry pet remove them.
What are the benefits of hazelnuts for hamsters?
As long as hamsters eat moderate amounts of hazelnuts, they will have health benefits.
Hazelnuts will provide them with the nutrients they need for their health, let’s see what they are:
- Vitamin E – is a great and necessary vitamin for hamsters because it will maintain their already naturally weak eyesight, as well as improve the condition of their fur.
- Iron – found in hazelnuts helps hamsters have better immunity and resistance to disease and infection.
- fiber – improves digestion and the entire digestive system of hamsters in general.
- Antioxidants – help fight free radicals that can cause cancer in hamsters, as well as prevent premature aging or extend their lifespan.
- Potassium – by eating hazelnuts this mineral will help your hamster have normal blood pressure levels, which prevents the occurrence of various dangerous diseases in your pet.
- folate – found in hazelnuts are very useful for hamsters, to create red and white blood cells. Folic acid helps make it easier for your pet to convert carbohydrates into energy, and to produce DNA material.
- Zinc – helps protect the hamster from infections and injuries.
- Calcium – will help hamsters have healthier bones and teeth.
- Vitamin B – is an excellent nutrient in hazelnuts that will allow them to have much more energy to be able to run and play all day.
What are the side effects of hazelnuts for hamsters?
As long as hamsters eat moderate amounts of hazelnuts they will have health benefits, but if they overdo it then the following side effects can occur:
- Diarrhea – can occur because hazelnuts are a heavy and high-calorie food to digest for your pet.
- Abdominal pain – Many hazelnuts amounts for hamsters can cause problems and pain in their stomach and digestive system.
- Diabetes – occurs due to the fact that hazelnuts have a significant amount of fat that increases the risk of diabetes.
- obesity – again due to fat, if your hamster eats too many hazelnuts it will gain weight.
- Balance problems – are caused by gaining weight or eating too many hazelnuts, which will make it difficult for hamsters to move and coordinate.
- The danger of suffocation – can occur as a result of eating too many hazelnuts or too big pieces of hazelnut, so always try to give them smaller pieces.
- nutrient deficiency – if hamsters eat too many hazelnuts they will not want other foods or will be full, and will not be able to get nutrients that are not present in hazelnuts but are found in other foods.
Hazelnuts are good for hamster health as long as they are eaten in moderation.
Eating one hazelnut a week or two a week, depending on the hamster breed, helps our pets have healthier bones, heart, digestive system, immunity, and disease protection.
Side effects occur if hamsters eat too many hazelnuts which can lead to obesity, diabetes, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
Finally, give moderate amounts of hazelnuts to your hamsters and enjoy watching how they will eat happily.