Last updated on January 29th, 2023 at 05:22 pm
Hamsters can eat various foods in their diet, improving their health.
A variety of food allows the intake of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals needed to run and play every day.
Maybe when you eat pizza and feel the smell of oregano, you wonder if hamsters also like the smell of this herb.
Can hamsters eat oregano?
Yes, hamsters can eat oregano, but always in moderation to get the benefits without harmful health consequences. Oregano contains vitamins A, C, and E, calcium, magnesium, iron, and other nutrients for hamsters. Oregano also has a high amount of carotene. This spice also contains thymol, which can be dangerous because it is toxic to hamsters.
In today’s article, we will find out how much oregano hamsters can eat and the benefits and risks of this herb for their health.
What is oregano?
Oregano is an herb that belongs to mint, that is, from the Lamiaceae family.
This herb is very popular and has been used for thousands of years to make food taste better, and it also has medicinal uses.
There are several types of oregano; the most famous is Oregano Vulgare. Oregano contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals beneficial for humans and hamsters.
Can hamsters eat oregano?
Yes, hamsters can eat oregano, but only in small quantities because this herb can be toxic to our pets in more significant amounts.
Hamsters can eat oregano and absorb the nutrients to benefit their health.
This spice contains vitamins C, and A, potassium, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, and other healthy ingredients. Hamsters can safely consume this spice as long as they eat it in small amounts.
Because oregano can be toxic for our little pets, we should not give them oregano foods, it is best when hamsters get oregano in the condition of pellets or drops.
Will hamsters like to eat oregano?
Yes, if you offer oregano to hamsters, they will want to eat it, although a small number of them may refuse oregano.
Hamsters will love to eat oregano directly or if you give them food seasoned with oregano.
Oregano is safe for hamsters in small quantities, while it is not at all healthy and useful in larger doses.
How much oregano can hamsters eat?
In general, hamsters can eat very little oregano to benefit from this spice.
However, depending on their size, it depends on how much oregano hamsters can eat; Syrian hamsters can eat the most, while dwarfs can eat the least amount.
Benefits of oregano for hamsters
If hamsters eat oregano in small amounts, they will benefit their health.
Here are some of them:
- Vitamin C – helps protect against scurvy, improves immunity, and protects healthy cells in hamsters. Vitamin C is important because hamsters cannot produce it independently, so they must get it through their diet.
- Calcium – is a mineral that, with its effect, strengthens the bones and teeth of hamsters and helps for the proper growth and development of the entire skeleton of our pets.
- Vitamin A – is an excellent vitamin that helps maintain and improve vision in hamsters with very poor eyesight.
- Phosphorus – helps hamsters have healthy bones and teeth and easier processing of energy in their body.
- Potassium – is an essential mineral that maintains blood pressure levels at an optimal level and improves the functions of our furry friends’ nervous systems and muscles.
- Carotene -helps and protecting hamsters from worms and diarhea.
- Vitamin K – is a mineral for enhancing bone health and easier blood clotting in hamsters.
- Folate – helps hamsters have good DNA structure and preserves healthy cells.
- Thiamine – with its action, helps to process food into energy more efficiently, so the hamsters will have more strength to run and play all day.
Risks of oregano for hamsters
It is OK if hamsters eat small amounts of oregano, but if they overeat, it is not suitable for their health.
Here are the risks if they overdo it by eating this spice:
- Toxicity: oregano contains an ingredient called thymol, which can be poisonous to hamsters in larger quantities.
- Digestive system problems: again, due to the thymol ingredient, hamsters can have digestive issues, so be careful with the amount of oregano you give your furry friends.
- Diarrhea: too much oregano can only cause diarrhea and abdominal pain in hamsters.
How to give oregano to a hamster?
Hamsters are very timid by nature and have difficulty deciding to try a new food or plant.
Therefore, in the beginning, it is best that you personally, as an owner, give a little oregano from your hand to the hamster to see if he will like it or not.
If he likes it, fine; if he doesn’t want to eat it, there is no need to give him something he doesn’t like; there is a massive selection of other types of food he will want to eat.
What to do if hamsters overeat oregano?
If the hamsters overeat oregano, you should immediately give them a more significant amount of water so they can more efficiently process the food or the oregano.
Diarrhea and stomach pains may occur, but they will pass in 24-48 hours.
If the condition does not normalize, you should take your pet to a veterinarian to examine him and give him appropriate therapy.
Can hamsters eat dried oregano?
Yes, hamsters can eat dried oregano in moderately small amounts.
Too much dry oregano can only cause problems with their health, so be careful with the amount.
As hamster owners, we must be careful about how much oregano we give our pets because otherwise, they will eat as much as possible.
Can hamsters eat raw oregano?
Yes, hamsters can eat raw oregano in small, strictly defined quantities.
If hamsters eat some raw oregano, they will benefit from the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
Of course, too much raw oregano is unsuitable for them and can only cause diseases and problems.
Can hamsters eat oregano leaves?
Yes, hamsters can eat oregano leaves; they are entirely safe for them as long as they eat them in small amounts.
A few leaves of oregano will help the hamsters to take in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals beneficial for their health.
Again, just like with the spice itself, your pet will get sick if hamsters eat too many oregano leaves.
Read more: Can Hamsters Eat Lavender? (Benefits, Serving, Risks)
Can hamsters eat oregano daily?
No, hamsters should never eat oregano daily; this spice is not a daily food for hamsters.
Hamsters can eat commercial pellets daily consisting of various seeds, timothy hay, and small amounts of vegetables and fruits.
Once a week, a small amount of oregano is quite enough for our furry friends for the best benefits to their health.
Read more: Can Hamsters Eat Clover? All Benefits And Risks
An alternative to oregano in the diet of hamsters
As we said, oregano is suitable for hamsters if eaten in small quantities. Otherwise it can be toxic to our furry friends.
Some hamsters like it, others don’t like to consume oregano.
Therefore, let’s see which other plants and herbs are suitable for hamsters, and which are bad for their health.
Herbs suitable for hamsters:
Here are the herbs that are not good for the health of hamsters:
- bay laurel
Hamsters can eat oregano, but always in tiny quantities, exactly one pinch per week of this spice.
With moderate amounts, hamsters will have protection against scurvy, healthier bones, healthy teeth, better blood pressure and other benefits.
If they overeat oregano, diarrhea, stomach pains and poisoning may occur due to the presence of thymol, an ingredient that is poisonous to our pets in larger quantities.
Finally, occasionally eating oregano is suitable for hamsters to benefit and improve their health.