Hamsters enjoy the food we give them, but to be healthy and safe to eat we as owners need to be careful what kind of food we offer them.
In addition to their regular diet, it is good for their health if we add nuts, fruits and vegetables to their diet.
Can hamsters eat pecans? Is pecan safe for hamsters? Yes, hamsters can eat pecans, but in moderation to have the best health benefits.
But be careful not all hamsters can eat pecans, only Syrian and Robo hamsters can.
Therefore, in today’s article, we will introduce you to the benefits and risks of eating pecans for hamsters, as well as how much is enough, what are the benefits of pecans for your pet, and other things.
What do we need to know about pecans?
Pecan is a very healthy and tasty nut, which grows on trees, and is mostly grown in the United States and Mexico.
Pecans are most often used in cooking or can be used as a snack.
Pecans contain antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals that are very good for the health of hamsters, and therefore should be eaten by them.
Can hamsters eat pecans?
Yes, hamsters can eat and enjoy pecans, but always in the amounts recommended for them.
Syrian and Robo hamsters can eat pecans, while dwarf hamsters should not eat because it will be too difficult for their digestive system.
Hamsters can eat natural, unsalted, and unsweetened pecans. By eating pecans hamsters will spend more of their teeth, which is beneficial to them.
How to give pecans to hamsters?
Whenever you give pecans to hamsters, they should be thoroughly washed, so that there are no impurities and chemicals that may be used in its breeding.
The next thing you need to do when giving your pet pecan for the first time is to try to give it from your hand, as this will make the hamster feel more secure because they are by nature scared.
Just because you, as the owner, let him try new foods, will also strengthen the relationship with your furry pet, who will trust you even more in the future when he needs to try other foods.
Give him only a small piece at the beginning to see if he will like the pecan because if he refuses and does not want to eat there is no reason to continue giving the pecan to your pet.
After giving him a pecan for a test, wait 24 hours to see if he will have any side effects such as diarrhea, stomach problems, and the like.
If all goes well, you can slowly increase the amount to the intended dose according to the hamster breed, because not all hamster breeds eat the same amount of pecans, we will say more about this later in this article.
How many pecans can hamsters eat?
How much is enough to eat for hamsters depends on the breed or their size.
For example, Syrian hamsters as the largest can eat the most, while dwarf hamsters are not allowed to eat pecans.
So let’s see which breed can eat pecans, which hamsters are allowed, and which are not allowed to eat such food at all.
How many pecans can Syrian hamsters eat?
Syrian hamsters are the largest breed and unlike other hamsters, they can eat most pecans.
Simply their digestive system can afford the largest amount of pecans, or more precisely they can eat 2 pecans a week, but not two days in a row.
With this amount, they will make the most of the benefits to improve their health, and at the same time, they will have no side effects.
How many pecans can Robo hamsters eat?
Robo hamsters are smaller than Syrian hamsters but larger than dwarf hamsters, so it is best for them to eat one pecan a week.
This amount is sufficient for their breed and their digestive system.
It may seem small, but that amount is still enough for the Robo hamsters to get the nutrients from the pecans, which will improve their health.
How many pecans can dwarf hamsters eat?
Dwarf hamsters along with Campbells and Chinese can not eat pecans at all.
Their digestive system is too fragile to process pecans, and the fat levels in this nut can only cause major health problems for them.
So do not try to give them pecans, there are many other types of food and various types of vegetables and fruits that they can eat.
Can baby hamsters eat pecans?
No, baby hamsters can not and should not eat pecans until a few weeks of their lives have passed.
Baby hamsters should only use breast milk, water, and food specifically for their age. Their digestive system when they are babies can not process vegetables, fruits, or pecans when they are small.
Only after a few weeks have passed, only then should they be gradually given new foods such as vegetables and fruits, and baked goods.
Of course, before you start giving them new foods, you should consult a veterinarian.
Can hamsters eat pecan shells?
No, hamsters should never eat pecan shells.
The reason is that pecan peels do not contain any nutrients, so there is no need to eat them, stick to pecan fruit.
Can hamsters eat salty pecans?
No. Hamsters can not and must not eat salty pecans, because salt is too harmful to their health when ingested in large quantities.
Therefore, our recommendation is that hamsters eat only unsalted pecans, they are the healthiest and best for their health.
Can hamsters eat sweet pecans?
No, hamsters can not eat sweet pecans.
Because sweet pecans contain sweeteners made in an artificial way and are harmful to the health of your furry.
Can hamsters eat baked pecans?
The answer is yes, hamsters can eat baked pecans.
Of course, after roasting the pecans, you should first allow them to cool before giving them to the hamsters, because you certainly do not want your pet to get burned while eating.
What if the hamster does not want to eat pecans?
If the hamsters or your pet does not want to eat pecans, you should not force them to eat something they do not want.
But you should not be disappointed, there are other foods that you can give to hamsters such as the following:
- sweet potato
What are the health benefits of pecans for hamsters?
Just as pecans are great for human consumption, they also provide nutrients for hamsters.
By eating pecans in moderation, hamsters can get a lot of health benefits, here are some of them:
- Vitamin C – is one of the most important vitamins for hamsters, so eating pecans will have better growth and development, and also vitamin C helps reduce the chances of scurvy or vitamin C deficiency.
- Vitamin B6- by eating pecans, this vitamin will help your hamster to have healthy red blood cells, skin, and a good nervous system.
- Vitamin K – contained in pecans, helps your hamster have healthy teeth, bones and to maintain calcium in the blood and better blood clotting, which in turn means better wound healing.
- Vitamin E – contributes to hamsters having healthier skin, and helps maintain eyesight and vision which is very important because they already have very poor eyesight.
- Iron – is a very important mineral that helps hamsters have healthy blood.
- Vitamin B- is great for boosting energy in hamsters, so they can play and run for a longer time without getting tired.
- Antioxidants – help protect hamsters from free radicals that have a detrimental effect, antioxidants in addition to protecting against cancer, they also extend the life of your pet.
- proteins – they are important for hamsters to have the strength and good muscle development in their body.
- fiber – they are responsible for protecting the digestive system and easier digestion of food for hamsters.
Side effects of eating pecans for your hamsters?
If hamsters overindulge in eating pecans, there can be side effects that can negatively affect their health.
Here are some of the risks that can happen to them:
- suffocation – pay attention to the size when giving pecans to hamsters, because larger pieces of this nut can cause suffocation, so always cut the pecans into smaller pieces.
- obesity – because pecans contain a lot of fat, if they eat too much, the hamsters will gain weight, which will make it difficult for them to move and may cause additional problems.
- diabetes – excessive intake of pecans in the body of hamsters contributes to the adverse effects of pecan sugar and the risk of developing diabetes.
- nutrient deficiency – occurs if hamsters eat too many pecans, after which they will be full and will not want to eat other foods that contain ingredients that are not in the pecans.
Hamsters can eat pecans, but in moderation to benefit their health, because if they eat too much they can have side effects on their health.
By eating pecans hamsters will have a healthier heart, blood, bones, healthy teeth, better immunity, and disease protection.
Eating too many pecans can lead to suffocation, diarrhea, obesity, diabetes, and other health problems.
Eventually, most hamsters will want to eat pecans, and you as the owner just need to take care of the amount you give them.
read more: Can Hamsters Eat Basil? All Benefits