Last updated on January 29th, 2023 at 07:48 pm
Hamsters can eat various types of fruit, but can they eat plums?
Yes, hamsters can eat plums, they are an excellent fruit that, with their vitamins and minerals, contribute to improving their health. However, due to the fact that it contains both acid and sugar, we must be careful about the amount we give to hamsters, it is always best to be moderate.
If hamsters eat moderate amounts they will have health benefits, while if they eat too much they will have problems with the digestive system.
How many plums can hamsters eat?
To have the best benefits without harmful consequences, it is enough for your hamster to eat one plum a day, 2 times a week.
In no case should you give them plums every day, because it is too much for them, too much sugar that will endanger their health.
When you decide to give a plum to your hamsters, you should first wash it thoroughly to remove dust and dirt or chemicals from its surface.
Before giving a plum to your hamster you should remove the pit as it contains cyanide which can be dangerous to their health.
Then cut the plum into smaller pieces so that the hamster can eat it more easily without choking.
Everything that will be left of the plums in the cage after eating the hamsters, you should immediately remove them so that insects, mice and spiders do not come.
Can all breeds of hamsters eat plums?
Syrian and Robo hamsters can eat moderate amounts of plums while smaller dwarf hamsters, Campbell’s and Chinese hamsters do best without plums.
Since plums have a lot of sugar, smaller breeds can get diabetes, so avoid giving them this fruit.
Nutrient components of plums for hamsters
Plums are good for hamsters because of the following nutrients:
- Calcium – which helps the skeleton and bones of hamsters to be stronger which will protect them from body fractures.
- Vitamin C – improves the immune system of hamsters and helps the proper development of their body and prevents the occurrence of diseases.
- Vitamin A – is an excellent vitamin for improving the vision of hamsters who have naturally very poor vision. This vitamin also helps to prevent the occurrence of cancer and other diseases.
- Antioxidants – improve immunity, and fight against cancer-causing free radicals, thus helping to extend the lifespan of hamsters.
- Potassium – a very important mineral that, with its action, makes an excellent regulation of the level of water in the body of hamsters and reduces the level of sugar in the blood.
What are the dangers of eating plums for hamsters?
As long as the hamsters eat moderate amounts of plums everything will be fine, but if they start eating too many plums then they will have negative consequences for their health.
Here are some of the consequences:
- Digestive problems – since plums contain sugar, larger amounts will cause digestive problems.
- Kidney stones – due to the excessive amount of calcium, hamsters will not be able to process it and it will accumulate in the kidneys and form stones. When hamsters have kidney stones, it is a very painful experience and they will have to be removed by a veterinarian.
- Diabetes and obesity – sugar, in addition to other problems it causes, causes diabetes and obesity in hamsters.
Can my hamster eat plum leaves?
No, you cannot give plum leaves to hamsters because they are toxic.
If hamsters accidentally try to eat plum leaves, they can only get problems with their stomach and digestion:
If you see that the hamster has eaten plum leaves, give it water and take it to the vet just in case.
Can hamsters eat plum branches?
No, hamsters cannot eat plum branches because they can be toxic to them.
Plum branches can contain pits and stones that can cause many problems for our furry friends.
That’s why it’s best to just give them the plum fruit itself, that’s the only thing allowed for hamsters to eat.
Can hamsters eat plum jam?
No, hamsters cannot eat plum jam, it is too sweet for them. There is too much sugar in a plum jam, which will immediately cause health complications for hamsters.
The plum jam will cause abdominal pain, cramps, and bloating in our furry friends.
Can hamsters eat frozen plums?
No, hamsters cannot eat frozen plums or any other frozen food.
If you have frozen plums at home and you want to give them to the hamsters to eat, you will have to take them out of the refrigerator to thaw at room temperature and only then give them to the hamsters to eat.
Too much cold food is harmful to hamsters, just like too much cold water, so never give them cold or frozen food.
Can hamsters eat canned plums?
No, hamsters cannot eat canned plum because it contains a lot of sugar and other additives that make them harmful to our pets.
Hamsters do not need it at all to eat a canned plum.
Also, any canned food is not good at all because it is very harmful and does not have enough nutrients like fresh food.
Hamsters can eat moderate amounts of plums, one plum twice a week.
The reason for eating plums in moderation is that this fruit has a lot of sugar in its composition and can cause diabetes, obesity, and other health problems for your pet.
In moderate amounts, it can help strengthen bones, protect against cancer, and other benefits for your hamster.