When guinea pigs shake, their owners may wonder if something is wrong with their pets, or is it perfectly normal? After all, almost all animals sometimes shake, but you certainly want to know why this is so, why this phenomenon occurs.
You want to know if the guinea pig is shaking, it is from happiness, sadness, fear, disease, or something else.
In today’s article, we will learn more about the reasons why guinea pigs shake, whether it happens due to physical or psychological problems, and how to prevent it.
Why do guinea pigs shake?
Guinea pigs shake for a number of different reasons, they can shake when they are cold, if they are sick, when they are scared, upset, and when they feel excited and happy.
Guinea pigs can also be shaken by a skin parasite called guinea pig scabies trixicara cavis, which causes cramps, pain, and shaking of your pet.
In any case, shaking your pet will happen often, so you should not be surprised in such situations.
There is no harm in consulting a veterinarian about such moments of shaking your furry pet, which will help you with any situation or problem with your pet.
Guinea pigs shake when they are cold
If a guinea pig is cold, it starts to shake, because they are warm-blooded animals that react to changes in temperature.
For example, when you bathe your pet because of the water it will be cold, and therefore it will start to shake.
Therefore, after bathing, it is necessary to wipe it immediately with a cloth, so that it can warm up as soon as possible.
Of course, there is no reason to worry, because this situation is completely normal, just like us humans.
Fear is the cause of guinea pigs shaking
Guinea pigs are tender and timid pets that start to shake when they feel scared.
When guinea pigs are frightened, they also make unusual movements of the head up and down (just like throwing). For example, a loud noise, lightning strike, or something similar can affect your pet, it will get scared and start shaking.
Usually, in such moments the guinea pig hides and runs away, and you as the owner need to calm your pet, to make him feel safer you can cover the cage or hold it in your hands to make him feel more secure.
Guinea pigs can also shake when they are happy
It does not necessarily mean that your pet is always shaking for some bad reason, sometimes they are shaking with happiness.
Maybe the guinea pig is looking forward to a gift or is happy to play with its owner and other similar moments that make it feel good.
Because guinea pigs can not talk, we need to learn from their behavior what they want to tell us, and shaking is a behavior that should certainly show us how they feel.
How can you find out why a guinea pig is shaking with the RAT method?
The RAB method is used to make it easier to find out why your pet is shaking.
With this method of gathering information and signs that the guinea pig shows, it will be easier for you to find out what the real cause of the shaking is.
Here’s how to do it:
R- it means your pet’s reaction, whether it just shakes, whether it makes noises, what you did and similar.
A- it is a precursor to the shaking, did any event cause the guinea pig to shake, which actually happened.
T- is a conclusion, ie an answer to what you should do based on the analysis of the reaction and previous events that affected the shaking of your furry pet.
To make it easier to understand the RAC method, you will need time, ie the more you get to know your pet, the easier it will be for you to assess why your pet is shaking.
Guinea pigs shake when they are sick
Your pet may start to shake when he is sick, so be careful, it can be a sign of the following diseases:
- fever – in which you need to cover the guinea pig with a blanket, give them water to have enough hydration and reduce its temperature. The next thing to do is consult a veterinarian, who may prescribe medication or give you additional tips to help your pet get rid of the fever.
- Inflammation of the ear – is another reason for the guinea pig to start shaking, and this disease is one of the most dangerous for the health and life of your pet, just be careful if this sign show. At such times the guinea pigs feel pain in the ears and begin to shake their heads. If your guinea pig has an ear infection you should consult a veterinarian immediately, as it can be very dangerous if you wait too long to find a solution.
- fleas – are another reason for guinea pigs to shake, and they shake to get rid of them. Therefore, bathe the guinea pig regularly with clean water and soap intended for them, and keep the cage clean, which will reduce the possibility of fleas.
Can shaking a guinea pig be a sign of anemia?
Yes, guinea pigs, in addition to the commonly known situations of joy and fear, can mean that your pet has a completely different problem, which is anemia or a decrease in the number of red blood cells.
Then the accompanying symptoms besides shaking are lack of shine on the fur, less appetite, and lethargy or less movement.
If you notice tremors and these symptoms occur, you should take him to a veterinarian immediately to examine him and give you further instructions to improve his condition.
Do guinea pigs shake when having a predominance?
In situations where guinea pigs shake the buttocks from one side to the other, this is a predominance of guinea pigs. This movement is accompanied by a roar at the same time.
Then guinea pigs want to call for mating or also this behavior means that they want to show dominance over other guinea pigs.
Why do guinea pigs shake when you pet them?
The answer is neutral, it is not known exactly whether the shaking of guinea pigs when petting them is good or bad for them.
They may enjoy stroking them and shaking with a sigh, and they may even be shaking from the fact that they are bothered by your touch.
For each guinea pig, caressing from the owner is an individual matter, you will have to see for yourself from his behavior whether he likes it or not, and whether you need to continue to do so in the future.
However, this does not mean that if they shake at first they will always shake when you pet them, it takes time for your pet to gain confidence in you and feel safe.
When petting your pet, make sure the maximum time is not more than 10 – 15 minutes.
What to do when guinea pigs shake?
The longer you keep the guinea pig, the more you will know what is best to do when it shakes, how to help it.
Here are some tips on how and what to do in such moments:
- Safe environment – is a very important factor for your pet, you need to provide a comfortable environment, at the same time it should be clean and of course warm, because they deserve it, and believe that they will reciprocate with love.
- A clean environment – is especially important for your pet, as it will help protect them from many potential diseases and bacteria.
- Food and water – are very important, because your pet should always receive food and water on time to be able to function normally.
- Тhe temperature in his room – can help and reduce the shaking of guinea pigs, it should always be maintained, so that your pet will be comfortable and warm, and will not shake so often.
- See a vet – if you can not reduce the shaking, especially if it is painful, then a vet is the best solution to help your furry pet.
It often happens that guinea pigs start to shake for various reasons, such as joy, fear, sadness, and disease.
Shaking in guinea pigs is a common thing, so you should not get too excited, it is a normal occurrence that will always happen.
The more you get to know your pet, the easier it will be for you to know the cause of his shaking, whether it is positive or the result of illness and fear.
Some causes of shaking, such as after bathing, you can reduce by yourself by covering guinea pigs, and keeping them warm, but if it is an ear infection or other disease, it is best to take it to a veterinarian for an examination.
Lastly, the guinea pig shaking will not go away, but it can be reduced if you take care of it, because in some situations we owners can help our cute pet.
read more: Can Guinea Pigs Swim? (Is It Danger Or Not)